[Thinkpad] ThinkPad Woes--Part 1 of 3: TPM Issue

Mike Blake MikeBlake at SoftHome.Net
Tue Feb 3 02:13:23 CST 2009

Dan Galender wrote:
> Whenever I boot up, I get a dialog
> box with an error message stating
>
>>"There was a problem connecting to the TPM (security device) on
>>on this computer.  It is possible that anti-virus or firewall
>>software is blocking the connection.  A missing or disabled
>>device driver could also cause this problem.  Please refer to the
>>online documentation for more information."

TPM stands for "Trusted Platform Module." Are you deliberately
using the ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software and/or Client Security
Solution? The error should be coming from them.

Did you "retro-upgrade" the ThinkPad from Vista to XP? That
can cause this problem. A user on the forums at Lenovo said
this fix took care of the problem for him in that case on his
R52:

> This error occurs on systems that originally had Windows Vista
> installed but were downgraded to Windows XP. Windows Vista
> initializes the security device (TPM) in a way that is not
> compatible with Windows XP. Once Windows Vista has initialized the
> TPM, Windows XP cannot use the TPM until it has been cleared from
> the BIOS setup. Solution
>
> To clear the TPM from the BIOS, do the following:
> 1. Turn the computer off.
> 2. Turn the computer on and press F1 to enter the BIOS setup menu.
> 3. From the Security menu, locate the option to clear the security
>     device. Sometimes it is referred to as the TPM or TCG feature.
> 4. Save and exit the BIOS setup menu.
> 5. Restart Windows and enroll in Client Security Solution.

They commented on step 4: "/there is no such menu called TPM
nor TCG in the BIOS.  So I went under Security and Security Chip
and to Clear Security Chip.  Then all my problem with TPM is
solved.  After that I can enroll myself to CSS and manage my
password./"

There are other things to try -- uninstall the fingerprint software
and CSS -- but we don't know whether you're using them or not.

--Mike Blake