[Thinkpad] where is the backlight?

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 05:44:51 CST 2009

I had two broken lcd panel of laptops, and have been looking at this
for two weeks, and I didn't know anything at all when I started.
On the first one I had to replace the panel, and I managed to
misconnect the inverter before powering up, and I am pretty sure I
killed it, so I will have to replace that now. But the good part is
that the panel was just 80 euros and pretty easy to replace and it
would all work fine if I was not completely handicapped.
This site helped me a lot :
http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/category/lcd-screen-repair/

On the second one, I thought and hoped the problem was just the
inverter. I bought a new one only to realize the old one was perfectly
fine. So now I am pretty sure it's the backlight.
I have been looking several times at this article :
http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2007/12/09/replace-laptop-backlight-ccfl-lamp/

But I am 99% sure I will either break something while trying to
disassemble or never manage to assemble it back. so I will just buy a
new panel, that's the easiest :)
On the other hand, if you know you are going to buy a new panel, you
might have nothing to lose trying to fix the old one and possibly
damaging it.

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 4:38 AM, gwydion <gwydion at courvilles.com> wrote:
> Hmmm . . . I tried to replace a backlight on a T42 (or maybe a T40?) a while
> ago, and although I am not sure because it was so long ago, I thought it was
> on the top edge of the LCD under the "Do Not Touch The Tape Sensitive Area"
> label, while the inverter was at the bottom.  It was a pain in the *** to
> disassemble everything and almost impossible to get it back together
> correctly.  I have replaced just about everything else in various models of
> Thinkpads, and this was the hardest replacement I have done.  Personally, I
> wouldn't do it again, I would just get another LCD.
>
>                Art
>

> On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 19:01:08 -0800, Bruce Markowitz
> <scosgt at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>> It is normally on the bottom edge but could be on one side. HINT: It is
>> attached to the plug with two wires that plugs into the inverter. It is a
>> glass tube about the width of a hair. Good luck not breaking it
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mitchell Yee" <mitchell.yee at gmail.com>
>> Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2009 9:36 PM
>> Subject: [Thinkpad] where is the backlight?
>>

>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I've got a friend's beater T42's LCD (14.1") opened up on my breakfast
>>> table.. I'm trying to replace the old burned out backlight and I can't
>>> find it. Obviously, it's probably underneath the top edge underneath
>>> the white tape.  Is there a clean, neat way to remove this?  Or?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mitchell