[Thinkpad] Problems with Wireless When Symantec is removed.

Aryeh Goretsky (home) goretsky at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 23:07:06 CST 2008

Hello,

Symantec Norton Antivirus seems to install many objects into systems at
different points (NDIS, TDI, Winsock LSP, file system filter drivers are
all possible points at which you can inspect a system for malware, not
to mention kernel patching) and as a guess, I would imagine there is some
sort of component or process which was installed or enabled outside of the
installation package by their software and, as a result, does not get
uninstalled through the uninstallation script created by the installer
when the software is initially loaded.

What you might want to try doing to get around this is the following:

1.  Back up all the valuable data off the system.

2.  Visit http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/ to download the latest,
     most appropriate version of the Symantec Norton Removal Tool
     for the version of the Symantec product you are attempting to
     remove.

3.  Download (or have ready to install) the replacement security
     program.

4.  Disconnect the computer from the network and uninstall the Symantec
     product using the uninstall utility from the Start Menu or the
     the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel Applet (filename: APPWIZ.CPL)
     and reboot the system afterwards.

5.  Run the particular Symantec Norton Removal Tool you downloaded in
     Step #2.  Reboot once more.

6.  Start the computer up as normal, open a Command Prompt, and issue a
     "NETSH INT IP RESET C:\TEMP\RESETLOG.TXT" command per Microsoft KB
     article 299357, "How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows
     XP " <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357>.  You can specify a
     different path and name for the log file, but one must be specified
     on the command line, or the command will not run.  Reboot when done.

7.  Install the new security program.

8.  Reconnect to the Internet (it should now work) and allow the new security
     program to download its updates, if any.

Hopefully that will fix things.  If it does not, then I would suggest
contacting the new security product vendor's technical support and asking
them for assistance, being sure to let them know what you have done so far,
so they will know what the current status is of the notebook.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky