[Thinkpad] using another version of XP

RayBay canyonlands at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 00:00:28 CST 2008

Best way is to buy or borrow another hard drive, and put the old drive in an
external enclosure such as the Vantec Nextstar 3, or any other USB drive.

Then install the new drive normally, after which you migrate over the old
files.

I know this is not the answer you want, but it is the fasted, most secure
way.

You may have to use the Recovery Console from a Windows Disk, but it takes a
long, long time.

You might also try cold booting to your Windows Disk to then go through a
few steps to Repair (not Repair Console) mode.  This will enable you to run
a full windows install in repair mode without damaging your regular files or
folders.  BUT BE CERTAIN YOU HAVE ALREADY CREATED A BACKUP IN SOME WAY...
E.G. THE ENCLOSURE.

See this microsoft support article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/en-us

The file you need could be in WINDOWS\System32 folder, and a back up of the
file
can found in the WINDOWS\system32\dllcache folder,  or possibly in your
ServicePackFiles folders.

You will find a great deal of information with a gurgle search. There are
thousands who have had the same problem.

Good luck

________

Never put off until tomorrow
what you can do the day after tomorrow.

. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         Mark Twain