[Thinkpad] CPU upgrade for ThinkPad 770 (9548-300)

Philip Kiff pkiff at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 7 21:13:49 CST 2007

Robert Riebisch wrote:
> I already own a ThinkPad 770[...]
>
> Can I just plug in, e.g.,
> <http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190162695526> or
> <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220177984759> and
> all will be fine?

According to one or two posts on the forum David provided a link to, you may
have to choose an MMC-1 CPU that has an "on-die cache".  If that is correct,
then you need an MMC-1 CPU with a Product Tracking Code that starts with
PMF... not PMD...

In the links to ebay auctions, the first item has a code PMF33302001AA
(which, if accurate, suggests that this is actually a 333MHz, not a 300MHz
as described).  But the second item has the code PMD26605001A (which is a
266MHz but it may or may not have an on-die cache).

If it were me, I would only consider purchasing a CPU that started with the
code letters PMF....though 18 Euros seems an outrageous price for a used,
run-of-the-mill PII MMC-1 CPU.  You should be able to buy an entire, used
but working 770E (which comes with an MMC-1 PII 266) for about 25 Euros in
North America.

You can decipher the entire Product Tracking Code that Intel put on their
MMC-1 cards by referring to the following page:
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/celeron/sb/cs-007469.htm

Phil.