[Thinkpad] Making USB card work on my old 760XL?

Colgrove, George George.Colgrove at state.vt.us
Mon Oct 23 13:05:59 CDT 2006

Here is some info that might help:

Hopefully the following previous posts will help you.  I went through
this a while ago, and finally got it to work.

Good luck.

Colgrove, George George.Colgrove at state.vt.us
Fri Oct 24 11:35:08 CDT 2003
----------------------------
I finally got my USB 2.0 Card to work!!!  James Bryan of "JD's Used
ThinkPads" (http://www.affordanet.com/thinkpads) sells the exact generic
NEC
Chip Cardbus USB 2.0 PC Card that I got off from eBay.  As a last
resort, I
asked him for some advice.  He replied by giving me a list of websites
that
had some general information for getting USB to work under Windows 98.
Here
they are:

http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htm
http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm
http://affordanet.icestorm.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi
http://networking.smsu.edu/

What got mine to work, is that I reinitialized my ThinkPad.  I created a
new
profile in the system properties window.  When I booted up it
automatically
configured the system.  This time it put the PC Cards in IRQ 4 instead
of 10
or 11, which is where I've had them before.  Still didn't work, but
that's
where I left it.  After reading the second web page reference above, I
found
two updates from Microsoft that 1) solved the USB Devices Not Working in
Win98SE problem, and 2) USB Compatibility Update.  These Updates are
240075up.exe and 241134up.exe respectively.  These need to be installed
in
the order listed here.  Instantly, (well, almost - I did need to reboot)
the
USB card worked.  I then decided to move the IRQ back to 10 or 11 from
what
was suggested to me long ago, but it refused to work again.  I put it
back
to 4 and it functioned again.  Then I had to reconfigure the rest of the
machine to make all the rest of the features work.  I finally did, so
now my
ThinkPad 765D AND my USB 2.0 Card and Xircom Network/Modem card all work
100%!!!!  I'll post the configuration a bit later for your reading
pleasure.

Thanks for all your help!

ANOTHER POST:
Colgrove, George George.Colgrove at state.vt.us
Fri Oct 24 14:58:28 CDT 2003
----------------------------
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not
understand

ThinkPad 765D
IRQ Summary

00 - System Timer
01 - Keyboard
02 - Programmable Interupt Controller
03 - IBM MWave Communication Port (COM5)
03 - Communication Port (COM2)
04 - TI PCI-1130 CardBus Controller
04 - NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
04 - NEC USB Open Host Controller
04 - NEC USB Open Host Controller
04 - IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
04 - TI PCI-1130 CardBus Controller
05 - IBM Mwave DSP
06 - Standard Floppy Disk
07 - Printer Port (LPT1)
08 - System CMOS/ Clock
09 - IBM MPEG PCI Bridge
09 - IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
09 - IBM ThinkPad(Cyber9385/82) PCI
10 - Mwave SoundBlaster Compatible Device
11 - Infrared PnP Serial Port
12 - PS/2 Compatible Mouse
13 - Numeric Data Processor
14 - IDE Hard Disk Controller
15 - IBM Mwave MPU-401 Compatable Device

This gives me a 100% working machine!

YET ANOTHER POST:

Colgrove, George George.Colgrove at state.vt.us
Mon Oct 27 05:51:35 CST 2003
----------------------------
I used the prior configuration I posted for my TP 765D on a TP 760EL.  I
decided in this experiment not to install the two windows 98 USB
updates.
The card not only installed correctly, but it also recognized devices
plugged into it.  This is significant, because all sites I've visited
suggested this card is compatible with TP 760 XL or XD and 765L or D.

My conclusion is that all you need to do is to set your IRQ for your
PCMCIA
slots to 4.  This may mean you reroute your com port through IRQ 3, thus
making your com port 2 rather than 1.  I'm not sure if the USB card
would
work with IRQ 3, but I do know, that it won't work under IRQ 9, 10 or
11.
Why? I do no know!

Hope this helps others.