[Thinkpad] upgrade 600E

Shingo Tamaru stamaru at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jul 7 07:54:47 CDT 2004

Sorry I mistakenly sent a message before completing.
Please disregard the previous one.

He, Ron. The message you cited is my post.

> Any body know if this is true?

This is true. I know at least five people successfully
upgraded the CPU of a TP600E to PIII or Celeron and
cleanly boot the system.

> If so, what P III do I look for?

Any type of MMC-2 CPU should work. Just pick up one
you like considering the price, performance and availability.

Keep in mind that if you pick up one having SpeedStep
feature, the clock is set to the SS lower freq.

Acknowledgments
The method to disable the onboard RAM and cleanly boot
a TP600E after upgrading the CPU to PIII was discovered
by Sharedoc in the thread,
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4046
and introduced by Phillip Kiff in this ML
http://illuminati.stderr.org/pipermail/thinkpad/2004-June/012078.html
and another forum,
http://www.thinkpads.com

For those who wish to try this upgrade, read these posts
throughly.

Shingo