[Inquiry] Looking for a Razor and Triangles and Meanings

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Mon Sep 6 19:40:17 CDT 2010

Re: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2010-09/msg00037.html

I'm not sure it's possible to sort out all the confusions and skew-a-logues that
have arisen on this "triangular" tangent to the "triadic sign-relational semiotics"
line of approach to the "looking for a razor" question, so I'll just indicate one of
the bigger issues that I think deserves some careful thought.

I think we need to be mindful of the distinction between normative sciences and
descriptive sciences, the object examples for the current discussion being the
normative science of logic and the descriptive science of psychology.

Aristotle and Peirce -- I'm less sure of Locke -- are very clear about the difference
between logic and psychology, and they both treat the theory of signs as being primarily
the business of logic, if not indeed the whole of it, though of course there is plenty of
room for a descriptive semiotics that might overlap with psychology.

Anyway, I think a lot of confusion can be avoided if
we keep this distinction and associated facts in mind.

Jon Awbrey

--

inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey